We’ve all learnt things through the years – through experience, through witnessing someone else making a mistake you never want to make, and through growing up and realising what is really important. This is my list….
- There is no better place for thinking over absolutely everything than in the shower.
- Never double-text a boy. If he isn’t texting back, he probably just isn’t interested. Deal with it.
- There is very little that can’t be made a bit better with a cup of tea.
- Likewise, anything with peanut butter.
- Reading the labels of the things you are eating may be dull – but it may stop you consuming 123% of your daily allowance of sugar in one “healthy” yogurt from pret!
6. It’s better to be single than in a relationship that doesn’t make you happy.
7. Gin sometimes makes things better. It also sometimes makes things much worse.
8. Get your legs out if it’s hot – no-one cares if your thighs jiggle!
9. Write down every mad idea you have. Some may be genuinely mad, others may be genius disguised!
10. Sometimes, even if you are completely BROKE, you are allowed to treat yourself. So buy the lippy you’ve been lusting over or the heart-shaped bowl that will make your breakfast so much more insta-worthy (anyone know where I can find one of these?!?) Don’t regret occasionally treating yourself if it makes you happy.
11. Don’t be a doormat. If a friend asks something of you that you know they wouldn’t do for you if the tables were turned, don’t do it.
12. Send postcards. Even if it is just down the road. I have never known a postcard not to draw a smile – how nice is it to be able to send a smile in the post?!
13. Get outside – it’t good for you.
14. Likewise, eat your vegetables. You aren’t 8 any more, green things are not poisonous!
15. That thing that happened that is the end of the world – probably isn’t.
16. Laugh. Laugh a lot. Laugh until your sides hurt and you think you weed a little. It’s good for you.
17. Life is too short for holding grudges.
18. Take pictures – you will never regret having solid memories, or evidence (drunk Rosie, I’m looking at you!)
19. Instagram is great for inspiring healthy food. Until you see skinny protein pancakes, get a craving and just make the full fat version!
20. If you aren’t happy – whatever it is, fix it. No matter what it takes.
21. Peoples lives as you see them online are not the whole story.
22. Try everything once – you won’t regret it, even if you never do it again!
23. Read more – it makes you smarter and you never know what magical world you will be transported to – no technology or hollywood actors required!
24. If you fuck up, apologise and mean it.
25. Don’t speed or park in stupid places – you are not made of money!
26. Explore. Even in your home town – I guarantee there is something you haven’t seen and somewhere you haven’t been.
27. It’s ok to feel lonely. The truth is, particularly in a big city, most of us feel it a lot more than we let on.
28. Sometimes you just need a takeaway. Pizza, curry, chinese, whatever tickles your fancy – turn off MyFitnessPal, screw the calories and enjoy!
29. Even the models in magazines don’t actually look like that. Embrace who you are. You are bloody beautiful.
30. Put your phone away a look at the world! Enjoy spending time with those around you – communicate! Operation #PhonesDown.
31. There is always going to be someone richer or thinner or with a better flat to newer macbook than you – envy is not attractive – let it go!
32. Disney songs are the best for car sing-alongs. No question.
33. Good grammar may not be an assumed skill any more (damn it!) but it is still a bloody attractive trait. Learn your there, they’re and theirs. Trust me.
34. Never let body-consciousness stop you doing anything. No-one cares if you jiggle, but you will if you spend your summer in jeans or don’t swim in the sea for fear of setting your love handles free!
35. Hugs are awesome, and just a bit magical.
36. Use suncream. Burns just hurt and it’s so not worth the risk
37. Get home. Shoes off. Bra off. It’s just the way things should be.
Do you have any other life lessons you have learnt that I should add to my list? I’d love to hear about them – Let me know in the comments below! 🙂
MichelleJuly 12, 2015 at 9:40 am
Re #4 – Unless of course you are allergic to it and then avoid at all costs. Apparently death is signficantly more boring than life 😉 I've learnt not to sweat the small stuff, it's such a waste of energy 🙂
Indre KilimaiteJuly 12, 2015 at 9:51 am
Oh what a great list! Loved reading it xx
And about heart-shaped bowl, if you located in UK you can find then in Home Bargain, Matalan or Asda stores 🙂
CandaceJuly 12, 2015 at 11:04 am
Brilliant list. Agree with them all apart from peanut butter. Insert chocolate instead
NJCDesignsJuly 12, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Wonderful post, a very true list!
Jean StarrJuly 12, 2015 at 12:49 pm
I totally agree with everything in the list! Kept nodding while I was reading throughout the end, haha 🙂 #12 though, postcards. I miss getting them. I used to have penpal.
Jean xx http://lapetitefawn.tumblr.com
ReneeJuly 12, 2015 at 1:21 pm
All amazing lessons! Totally agree with every one!
Renee | Lose The Road
KateJuly 12, 2015 at 8:58 pm
Crazy amounts of wisdom – all so accurate! Everything in life is better with peanut butter on it…
~ Kate xx
Jelena MilosavljevicJuly 13, 2015 at 8:41 am
I love this idea and the post is amazing. 🙂
This is definetely suposed to be a tag, #37ThingsIveLearnt . 🙂
Kayleigh ConwayJuly 22, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Thanks so much for the Bloglovin' follow Rosie, loving your blog!
I once tried to pair gin with lemonade one very depressed night, it didn't go too well. I love the postcard idea, I just bought a pack that you can colour in so that I can decorate them then post them off to friends and family or leave them in my postbox for my fiance to find ^.^
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Ooh yes, of course! Please avoid if allergic – Death just doesn't sound that fun! Ha!
Too right, easier to chill out and enjoy! 🙂
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 4:54 pm
Oh my god, Thank you! I'm so gonna go find one now! Love new homeware shopping!
Thanks and glad you enjoyed the post!
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 4:55 pm
I think the two can be interchangeable in that respect – or put them together – YUM!
Glad you liked it!
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 4:55 pm
Thanks! Glad you liked it!
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 4:57 pm
I know – its so exciting to get post! 85% of my post is just bills, its sad! I want to start a revolution to bring back writing letters! 🙂
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 4:58 pm
Glad you liked the post! 🙂
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 4:59 pm
Is it wisdom, or is it just stuff that I've accidentally absorbed?! I'm pretty sure it is the latter!
But yes, peanut butter and a spoon, yes please! 🙂
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Aw, so glad you enjoyed it!
Yes! It so should be! Ha! We've all got these little things we have discovered to help us through every day life – we should start a tag for them! 🙂
Rosie LadkinAugust 28, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Aw – I love that! The colouring in idea! What a lovely personal touch to an already personal item!
I like the idea of the app too, where you can send a postcard with your own photos on – perfect for distant family I think! 🙂
Menellia ValcentSeptember 20, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Love this post… I started to mark down the numbers I related too.. but got lost in the post.. lol.. thanks for sharing.. Beautiful!!
Rosie LadkinOctober 5, 2015 at 9:02 pm
Aw – so glad you liked it! 🙂