We’ve all learnt things through the years – through experience, through witnessing someone else making a mistake you never want to make, and through growing up and realising what is really important. This is my list….
- There is no better place for thinking over absolutely everything than in the shower.
- Never double-text a boy. If he isn’t texting back, he probably just isn’t interested. Deal with it.
- There is very little that can’t be made a bit better with a cup of tea.
- Likewise, anything with peanut butter.
- Reading the labels of the things you are eating may be dull – but it may stop you consuming 123% of your daily allowance of sugar in one “healthy” yogurt from pret!
6. It’s better to be single than in a relationship that doesn’t make you happy.
7. Gin sometimes makes things better. It also sometimes makes things much worse.
8. Get your legs out if it’s hot – no-one cares if your thighs jiggle!
9. Write down every mad idea you have. Some may be genuinely mad, others may be genius disguised!
10. Sometimes, even if you are completely BROKE, you are allowed to treat yourself. So buy the lippy you’ve been lusting over or the heart-shaped bowl that will make your breakfast so much more insta-worthy (anyone know where I can find one of these?!?) Don’t regret occasionally treating yourself if it makes you happy.
11. Don’t be a doormat. If a friend asks something of you that you know they wouldn’t do for you if the tables were turned, don’t do it.
12. Send postcards. Even if it is just down the road. I have never known a postcard not to draw a smile – how nice is it to be able to send a smile in the post?!
13. Get outside – it’t good for you.
14. Likewise, eat your vegetables. You aren’t 8 any more, green things are not poisonous!
15. That thing that happened that is the end of the world – probably isn’t.
16. Laugh. Laugh a lot. Laugh until your sides hurt and you think you weed a little. It’s good for you.
17. Life is too short for holding grudges.
18. Take pictures – you will never regret having solid memories, or evidence (drunk Rosie, I’m looking at you!)
19. Instagram is great for inspiring healthy food. Until you see skinny protein pancakes, get a craving and just make the full fat version!
20. If you aren’t happy – whatever it is, fix it. No matter what it takes.
21. Peoples lives as you see them online are not the whole story.
22. Try everything once – you won’t regret it, even if you never do it again!
23. Read more – it makes you smarter and you never know what magical world you will be transported to – no technology or hollywood actors required!
24. If you fuck up, apologise and mean it.
25. Don’t speed or park in stupid places – you are not made of money!
26. Explore. Even in your home town – I guarantee there is something you haven’t seen and somewhere you haven’t been.
27. It’s ok to feel lonely. The truth is, particularly in a big city, most of us feel it a lot more than we let on.
28. Sometimes you just need a takeaway. Pizza, curry, chinese, whatever tickles your fancy – turn off MyFitnessPal, screw the calories and enjoy!
29. Even the models in magazines don’t actually look like that. Embrace who you are. You are bloody beautiful.
30. Put your phone away a look at the world! Enjoy spending time with those around you – communicate! Operation #PhonesDown.
31. There is always going to be someone richer or thinner or with a better flat to newer macbook than you – envy is not attractive – let it go!
32. Disney songs are the best for car sing-alongs. No question.
33. Good grammar may not be an assumed skill any more (damn it!) but it is still a bloody attractive trait. Learn your there, they’re and theirs. Trust me.
34. Never let body-consciousness stop you doing anything. No-one cares if you jiggle, but you will if you spend your summer in jeans or don’t swim in the sea for fear of setting your love handles free!
35. Hugs are awesome, and just a bit magical.
36. Use suncream. Burns just hurt and it’s so not worth the risk
37. Get home. Shoes off. Bra off. It’s just the way things should be.
Do you have any other life lessons you have learnt that I should add to my list? I’d love to hear about them – Let me know in the comments below! 🙂