Towards the end of last year, I was being so so good with my food, I was healthy, I was in better shape than I had been in for ages, and I felt great. And then Christmas came, and I decided that I wanted to do Christmas properly – with all the wine, chocolate, prossecco and sausage rolls that come with that, without thinking about diets or what it would do to my waistline – and I loved every second of it. I did Christmas right – and it was awesome.
Now I find myself in mid-january, happy, having had a great break, and a fantastic christmas, and yes, I did put on a few lbs over Christmas but simple as a result of having a blooming good time! I don’t regret any of it, but I’m feeling a bit sluggish and my jeans aren’t enjoying my newly acquired love handles…so I’m going on a bit of a health kick. It’s not just to shift those newly acquired love handles, but also just to get back that energy and positivity towards my body that I was feeling towards the end of last year. It felt great – and I want that back. So I started today. I got up, I threw out all the crappy food in my cupboard, I re-downloaded MyFitnessPal and I did a healthy healthy food shop. And then when dinner came around, I cooked these turkey mince stuffed peppers – and they reminded me that healthy food can be yummy too!
I’m gonna try to post a few healthy recipes on here over the next few weeks and months – I love playing around and creating new recipes and meals, and I want to share them with you all. I know I can’t be the only one out there who is having a health kick after Christmas!!
So, here goes!
Serves: 3-6 (I had one with a plate of salad and was full but you might want two with a smaller salad…)
Calories per serving: 215 per stuffed pepper.
What You Need:
- 6 Red Peppers (pick these carefully – make sure they stand up!)
- 500g Lean Turkey Mince
- 2 Yellow Peppers
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 50g Grated Cheese (I used Red Leicester – yum!)
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Small Bunch of Fresh Coriander
How To Do It:
1. Finely chop the onion and yellow peppers.
2. Soften the onion and crushed garlic in a pan with a dash of olive oil. Add the turkey mince and fry until almost cooked through. Add the yellow peppers and continue to cook until soft.
3. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and chopped coriander and simmer for 10 minutes – keep stirring occasionally to prevent the mix sticking to the bottom.
4. Take the Red peppers and slice off the very top of each. Using your fingers, carefully pull out the seeds and core.
5. Place the 6 peppers in a baking dish (preferably something with high-ish sides so they can’t fall over as the peppers soften – though if you have picked really well-standing ones this shouldn’t happen!)
6. Fill each pepper with the turkey mince mix and sprinkle each with a pinch of the cheese
7. Bake on 200’C for 25-30 minutes.