We all love a cheeky Nandos, don’t deny it! But what happens if you are already in your joggers, fluffy socks on and chilled out for a night in, and you get a craving for a nandos? Yes, they do takeaway, but it still means going out, putting your bra back on (because lets face it, that was the first thing to happen after your coat came off and you’d kicked off your shoes!) – I decided to try to remedy this, by making a Nandos Pitta from home – using the fantastic Tefal Optigrill.
This grill is super super clever – it has a sensor that measures the thickness of what you are cooking so you get it cooked just right – I used it for a steak last week and the cooking level indicator can literally tell you when your steak is cooked and to what level (rare, medium, well done etc) using coloured lights, based on the thickness of the steak (or whatever you may be cooking) – SO CLEVER!
I’ve been using it for a couple of weeks now, and it has so many things that make it so so easy to use (you can even pop the grill plates in the dishwasher after, which is always handy!) – it has 6 specific cooking program settings including fish, red meat, sausages, burgers and BACON (which has pretty much revolutionised my hungover Sunday mornings forevermore!) but the one setting I haven’t used yet has been the “poultry” setting – which left me the perfect opportunity to create my own Nandos from home!
What You Need: (Serves 2)
Nandos Marinade (at the spice level you like – I’m a medium girl – LOVE IT!)
2 Chicken Breasts
Salad (again, to your taste! – I used a bit of lettuce and some grated carrot)
1 Sweet Potato
Nandos Peri-Peri Salt
Seasoning to taste.
How To Do It:
1. Slightly hammer the chicken breasts so they are a little flatter than normal – makes it easier to cook and increases the surface area for the marinade.
2. Cut each chicken breast in half and place in a bowl. Add just under half a bottle of the Nandos Marinade, mix and cover with cling film. Place in the fridge to marinade – preferably overnight but it should be ok after a minimum of 3-4 hours (obviously, the longer the better! I did mine for about 5 hours and it was yummy!)
3. After the marinade is nearly done doing its stuff, chop the Sweet Potato into thin wedges. Place on a baking tray, pour or spray olive oil over the top. Sprinkle Nandos Peri-Peri salt and any other seasoning over. I added a little bit of chilli powder for a kick! Place in the oven at 200 degrees for roughly 20-25 minutes (until cooked and getting crispy!)
4. Pop a couple of pitta breads into the toaster and toast until warm and the “pocket” has inflated.
Add whatever salad you want to use to the pitta pocket.
4. Preheat the Tefal Optigrill on the “poultry” setting and, when it is heated and ready to go (it’ll give you a beep to let you know when!), place the chicken breast pieces onto the grill and close the grill to cook from both sides.
5. When the chicken is cooked (for poultry you should cook until it is “well done”), pop it into the waiting pitta pocket, remove the cooked sweet potato wedges from the oven and add to the plate. Enjoy!
6. I decided to cook up some Halloumi too using the Tefal Optigrill – because I ALWAYS order Halloumi when I go to Nandos – Just pop it onto the grill once the chicken is done and cook until it gets those yummy slightly crispy grill lines across it – YUM! (If they stick together it only counts as one slice, right?!)
|Not all for me, Promise! 🙂|
*This Tefal Optigrill was gifted to me, however all views are my own.